Embracing healthy fats is a new concept for many of us. But as our understanding of the importance of good fats grows, it is clear that we need to find ways to incorporate them in to our daily diet.
Our brains are made of 60% fat. Fats are important for the integrity of our cell membranes. They are essential for the absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K. Fats help to modulate body temperature. They are a source of energy for us. Fats are components of our hormones. And fats form a protective cushion for our organs.
This simple recipe is full of good fats:
- Avocados are an excellent source of healthy monounsaturated fat, vitamins and antioxidants. They are rich in carotenoids and provide essential health-boosting nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, vitamin E, B vitamins, and folic acid. And avocados are high in fibre, with about 10 grams in each.
- Flax seeds are a great source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which is an omega-3 essential fatty acid. As our body does not make omega-3’s from scratch it is vital that we include them in our diet. Flax seeds are also a good source of fibre.
- Hemp seeds are a good source of omega-3 & omega-6 fatty acids as well as being a complete protein source and a good source of fibre.
- Extra virgin olive oil is a wonderful source of monounsaturated fat and well documented for its many health benefits.
Toast with Avocado Mash
1 avocado cut, scooped and mashed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/8 tsp. hot oil (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 tomato, sliced
1 slice of sourdough bread, toasted
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Ground Flax seed
1 tsp. Hemp Seed
- Mix mashed avocado, lemon juice, hot oil (if using) and salt & pepper
- Toast one slice of sourdough
- Place tomato on top of toasted bread
- Place mashed avocado mixture on top of tomatoes
- Drizzle EVOO on top and sprinkle with ground flax seed and hemp seed